Tuesday, April 16, 2019
Preparedness Beyond the Pantry? What's in Your Closet?
Today's post is a little different then the regular topic of stocking up your food pantry. We are going beyond the pantry and talking about what's in your closet. I want to first say that I know we all want to be frugal but so many of us just have the bare minimum in our closet.
Oh, we have the get outside and work clothes, or the I'm going to stay inside any way, so who cares Pajamas. Then something important come up and you can't find anything in your closet to wear. So you rush out the day before and spend too much money on a outfit and it takes away all your time. You may even settle for an outfit that you don't really like and may never wear again just because you can't find that perfect outfit. We forget that if we don't make sure we have what's needed in our closet that in the end we might actually spend more!
One part of my preparedness in my closet is to have a couple of nice dressy clothes that I can wear when the need arises. If I'm careful I can find these clothing items at garage sales but I've also bought them new on sale. You can find great looking used clothes. Also if they are stored properly and they are classics, you can wear these for many years.
Here are a few instances that being prepared will come in handy.
1. Funeral. Your need clothes to have on hand for a funeral. This is sad thing to think about, but you will need to have a nice dress or pants outfit if your a woman and a man needs to have dress pants, shirt, or a suit to help fit this need. You do not want to go looking the day before the funeral to find a nice outfit (I have heard from many that that have had to do just that). Believe me you don't need any more stress.
I have a funeral dress that stays in my closet (pictured). Really, I wear this dress every time I go to a funeral and no one is the wiser, unless of course I tell them. Don't forget the accessories like keeping a nice pair of dress shoes and pantyhose ready to go too.
2. Date night. No matter if the date is playing cards with your husband or wife when the kids go to bed or a nice dinner out, you will want to look nice. Keep at least two pretty blouses and only wear them for date nights if your a woman and some a couple of nice looking shirts if you are a man. Have at least two for each season.
Make sure to put them at the back of the closet and don't wear these unless you are going somewhere special. Make sure to always have some nice jeans or slacks ready to go too.
3. Weddings - If you color of funeral dress clothes is neutral then wear go ahead and wear your funeral dress clothes or wear one of the nice blouses and pants. .
4. Hospital visits. You can wear your pretty date night blouses or shirts to visit someone in the hospital.
5. Vacations. Sometimes we get so caught up in the planning where we are going, that we forget we are going to need to something nice to wear too. Make vacation clothes shopping part of your planning and budget.
Make sure to revisit your good clothes closet at least once or twice a year and check for repairs. You may need to consider replacing them if you have changed a size or they are looking old.
So with just a few purchases you can have your closet prepared for any circumstances.
Do you have what you need in your closet?