Our watermelons so far this season have been ho hum...just not very good. They are small and the sweet flavor just hasn't been there for us. We decided to take a gamble though again at Aldi's when they had huge ones for $4.99. I'm so glad we did! Perfect flavor and a watermelon two bowler. If you are wondering what a watermelon bowler is, I cut my watermelon in half lengthwise then get out all the watermelon with a spoon or ice cream scoop and put it in a bowl. That way it's ready to eat and the rind goes directly out to the compost (or chickens love it).
What great deals did you find at the grocery store this past week?
Be sure to
We just got the third ho hum watermelon and may not buy another one this summer. I have always said that ones with seeds are better. Our ALdi had them too but we had already gotten one at Sam's. I put my vegetable steamer basket in the bottom of the bowl to keep it up out of the juice and it keeps much longer.
Our great deal was a 40 oz bag of whole bean coffee at Sam;s for $12.67. Bonus, it's our favorite.
I tried the find a watermelon with a really yellow bottom and it will be ripe and it was. I am going to use this method again.
I used to do this with watermelon when we had a family at home. My husband doesn't eat it because it raises his sugar levels so very high.So if I want some I have to buy it by the slice.
Cheryl Kimbley has left a new comment on your post "My Grocery Shopping Deal this Week 7/6/18!":
I got a good one this week as well. It was smaller than yours but sure was tasty
I hate when I press the wrong button..sorry Cheryl. This one was big but with heat it's going fast!
Yes your right about it raising blood sugar levels...maybe it's kind of good that the others were not so tasty! Have as great day Jenny
I've heard that too...thumping is not working!
Oh going to try that trick Lana! Seeded watermelons are the sweetest I think too!!
Good deal on the coffee.
I've only bought one watermelon this year and was very disappointed too. The grandsons are coming this week so I may try again. :-)
I hope you find a good one..they will love it.
Hi Vicky and I am glad you got some nice sweet watermelon to eat. Gardens each season seem to be hit an miss depending on the weather.
We are still amending our soils in our gardens and setting up the drip irrigation systems to get ours operational in our new home.
I have included our best buys for last week on everything and a lot of grocery items too -
- Saved 20 % or $8.20 on usual prices by presenting our RACQ membership card whilst purchasing 10 lts of hydraulic oil from Repco. We are using this for our new 20 ton hydraulic wood splitter we just purchased. They have 20% off on all their oils this month so we will top up on all needed oils for all of our garden equipment and we have a lot due to DH's back injuries so we can get jobs done quicker and easier.
- At woolworths on half price special I purchased 9 x mouthwash and 4 containers of moisturiser to top us up for a year saving $47 on usual prices.
- From IGA on 58% or $13.08 off normal price sale we purchased 3 x 6 pk of hotdog rolls @.80c ea, a loaf of wholemeal bread @ $1.20, 2 x 4 pk cheese and bacon rolls @ $1.20 ea, 1 x 2 pk of cheese and bacon stix @ $1.40 and 1 x 6 pk of cream buns.
- Also from IGA purchased clearance 1.954 kg capsicums for $2 kg (an unheard of low price here in Australia) saving $3.83 on usual prices. These were chopped up and added 12 meal sized portions to the freezer.
- Ordered gift cards from our roadside assist club RACQ for fuel and groceries saving 5% or $19.39 on usual prices. More money to spend on both fuel and groceries with no additional outlay and I will couple this with any 50% off specials on items we need for groceries when we shop to save more.
Hope everyone else had a wonderful week of savings :) .
You had some great savings Lorna! I love all your bread savings...you now have more money
and time! Those gift cards help out too. Have a great day.
Post a Comment