It's been all about Back to the Bricks in downtown Flint this past week. It was all free but we did pay for popcorn -$1.00 and a cup of coffee- $2.00. We also received lots of freebies! It was a great cheap date for us.
Husband fixed the brakes on the car last Sunday. It took him all day but it saved us about $300.00. He said it was well worth the time.
I filled out Kroger survey on the back of the receipt.
We are continuing to harvest what we can out of the garden. Besides a few tomatoes and a few peppers, it's mostly been just zucchini and cucumbers. The zucchini is sliced lengthwise and then frozen for winter lasagnas and the cukes are either put in a salad or eaten immediately.
I picked the very small corn, that came off my 2 foot corn stalks, this past week. They were growing in the flood water way too long.
The pumpkins and the watermelon are both growing good but there are no fruits on the vines. So, they are not going to make it. The green beans are on the prayer list.
We went to an estate sale and we bought a lot of our cleaning products for our household (detergent, dishwashing detergent, softscrub, etc.) for a $1.00 each. We also bought a jacket for him and some brand new washcloths and towels.
My goals for next week:
Grandson went to camp so the wood pile is half done. This week, weather permitting, we will get back to the wood pile. I did a little work on it while he was gone.
Harvest what I can out of the garden.
How did you save money this past week?
As a Amazon affiliate I earn a small percentage when you purchase items from one of my links (the item doesn't have to be what I have linked here). Thanks so much for helping to support Vickie's Kitchen and Garden! Here is my link: https://amzn.to/2JNeMqO
Have you tried Swagbucks yet? It's a great way to earn free gift cards!
Be sure to
I shopped sales at the grocery store yesterday. I'm hoping I won't have to go back out this week!
It's great to stock up on great deals! Going back is the problem sometimes! Have a great day!
We had our biggest savings by deciding not to replace the tub in our bathroom with a shower. The estimate came back at $4700 for a fiberglass unit or $8200 for tile. We bought a $50 grab bar which Hubby installed yesterday and will just keep stepping over the side of the tub. We bought three bags of groceries at Publix for only $2.62 after coupons and IBotta. Our downfall was eating out way too much laast week but we just do that sometimes and them we are cured of it for awhile because we are sick of it!
Have a good week! I am glad your garden is producing some things that are able to be eaten.
I got more decluttering done in my bedroom closet. I actually have some empty shelves that I do not plan to fill up again! I found some 'new' things I'd forgotten I had & am using them.
-A beautiful large embroidered tablecloth with handmade lace trim went onto the piano bench in my craft room. It's hiding things stored under the bench & making the room look brighter & fresh.
-two baseball caps that my son wore will go to my grandson, he loves hats.
Most of the stuff will be passed on.
My daughter-in-law gave me four bottles of bubble mix. We go through a lot of bubbles when my grandson is here. She bought a pack of 8 on clearance at Walmart for .75!
I also found a roll of washi tape on clearance for .50...just when I needed it. I use washi tape in my Sunday school class room & had just finished a roll last Sunday.
A few more savings that weren't so cheap....I ordered curtains from Target online for my screened porch. I needed the extra long all weather curtains & they usually cost close to $100 a panel. I've been searching since 2014 when we built our porch. A friend gave me one set for my birthday back then (she found them at a yard sale for $10!) but I needed four more. I was able to get them for $18 each in a matching color scheme thankfully. I didn't want to buy 6. I did pay full price for the tension rods to hang them but my total was $100 to hang four curtains instead of 6 or 7 hundred to hang 6 curtains. It's been wonderful on these hot August mornings. The sun is very harsh on the porch & we spend a lot of time out there with my grandson.
My other splurge/save was two sedum plants at Aldi for $1.99 each.
I don't blame you Lana about the tub. That's a lot of money for a shower. Be careful though.
Yes we eat out a lot when we go away. So sick of it after awhile too! Nice to have a little break from cooking.
Those all weather curtains work great..what a deal you got Jenny.
I've used mine for quite awhile and they are now fading. They don't look too awful yet so I'll just keep them for awhile. Really works great for the cold too!
I need to look for a great deal for bubbkes!
At the grocery store they had some of my cereal on the clearance shelf. There were four boxes with a very small crushed in part on a corner. I doubt that it touched the inner bag but they were 25% off. I bought all 4 so I got 4 boxes for the price of three. I have honestly seen worse boxes on the regular shelf. I also got 2 cans of our enchilada sauce at 25% off. Both items were all ready on my list to buy this week. So I am really happy.
Those are some great deals Peggy! Have a great day!
Vickie it sounds like you had a good week and saw a lot of wonderful old cars. We also had our yearly event here for the car racing sprints so I saw a few older cars as well which was great. I had to stay out of the sun so DH went down and took some photos for me to look at also.
I am sorry to hear that half of your crops won't make it but at least you got some produce which is a blessing. Yay for handy husbands saving you so much money on your car repairs and getting your cleaning supplies at a great price.
Our Vicky challenge added up to $107.03 in savings last week :).
In the kitchen and adding to the pantry -
- Cooked all meals and some bread from scratch. The other times we ate discounted bread rolls we bought on clearance.
- Increased our food storage by a carton of powdered milk, 32 tins of smoked chicken and 5 tins of lychees while monthly grocery shopping and I am under budget by $36 for the month.
- DH took down one set of venetian blinds that weren't working and installed 4 curtain rod holders and rods.
- I made two sets of curtains from fabric purchased for $3 metre on special from Spotlight one for the kitchen door and another set for the top of the stairs in the rumpus room which I put up and put the curtain ends on the rails. The one in the kitchen will stop the heat escaping when the slow combustion fireplace is going so the cat can get outside. By making them we saved so far $28.80 over purchasing them.
Internet listings and earnings -
- Made $31 from the sale of a lace curtain we no longer need from the home as I have replaced them with new cotton ones to keep out the summer sun.
- Listed 10 items on eBay on a free listing promotion saving $16.50 on usual listing fees.
Purchases & Fuel -
- Purchased 120.5 lts of fuel using our RACQ e-gift card giving us 5% off and took advantage of our 4 c per litre everyday rewards saving us $12.53 on usual prices. We only fill up when we have 4 empty jerry cans at home as they strap (ocky strap) better into the boot of the car without falling over and we last purchased fuel 2 months ago.
- Purchased 5 x 6pk of white and wholemeal bread rolls and a loaf of bread for $1.25 on clearance saving $4.50 on usual prices.
- Bought 32 tins of smoked chicken from Aldi to top up the pantry with saving $3.20 on prices in other supermarkets.
- Got 3 free samples (a packet of spaghetti, almond and apricot cream cheese, and a cauliflower soup) as I am a taste tester for a supermarket saving $9.75 over purchasing them.
- Bought our usual grocery staples and 1 bottle of probiotics on half price special for the month saving $21.75 by picking up specials.
- As DH had his eye on a leather hat for sometime we decided to buy it and by asking if they could do a better price we saved $10 on the usual price.
Hope everyone had a wonderful week as we did.
Sounds like you had a great time with cars as well. It's sounds like every thing went well and I'm glad you stayed out of the sun.
What fun to be a taste tester and get free products. Love that!
Have another great week Lorna!
Post a Comment