Another week, another winter storm. We had a ice storm on Wednesday and another day off for the grand children. They ended up with three more days off last week. The first day I thawed out donuts that I had frozen for breakfast and made spaghetti for them for dinner. It was the days after that I wasn't as prepared for them as I would like, so we ended up grocery shopping more and going over budget.
In an effort to curb the unpreparedness around here this morning I have already made a batch of egg burritos to freeze for future breakfast meals. I'm also making waffles as we speak.
We made a trip to our local Goodwill and it seemed like they had more stock. Maybe it's the weather or maybe it's people cleaning out their closets, I'm not sure. We bought quite a few things for the grand kids and some much needed coffee mugs for us.
I reused the big bags they gave me at Goodwill for trash bags.
I painted my pull out drawers in my pantry with the paint I saved in my daughters basement. If you need any tips for painting I have some helpful hints here.
I saved close to $5.00 at Kroger with a 10% off digital coupon. I bought 5 pounds of butter there also for $1.99 a pound.
Goals for this week:
Stencil the pantry pull out drawers. I was given the stencils from Stencil Revolution and I'll have my honest review for them soon. So exciting to have a new little pizzazz around the kitchen!
I want to make blueberry muffins (with blueberries frozen in the freezer) and also make cookies for Valentines day this week. If the kids are again I will get them to help. They love to help cook.
Winter sow more jugs.
What are the ways you've saved this past week?
Be sure to
Good idea on the waffles and burritos. We like to make sausage & egg biscuits and wrap and freeze. So nice for a quick bit.
Hope you aren't quite as cold and frozen this week!
Those to ready to go breakfasts are the best around here too Cheryl! I hope we both have a good week weather wise.
This crazy winter just goes on and on! I hope you have sunshine and warmer temps soon! Although in my case I would want to keep those grandchildren around as much as possible! They seem to grow up faster than our own kids did. Our quick hot breakfast is the sausage gravy from the Amish restaurant and biscuits that are in the freezer and ready to reheat. Next time I will need to make a new batch of biscuits though.
We spent so much time looking at houses last week and many times right up to meal time but came back home to eat every time. I was proud of us since it would have been so easy to pull in anywhere and eat before going home. We looked at a beautiful house in a great neighborhood that had been flipped but oh the problems it had and I am so glad Hubby could see it. Whoever buys that house is in for a mess of trouble.
We went to Lidl for the $1.29 boneless skinless chicken breasts yesterday morning and canned 13 jars of chicken breast yesterday. I was thankful that I bought a larger canner last fall when I saw the price drop on Amazon. It cost nothing since I paid with Swagbucks gift cards. We could not have canned all the chicken in one load with the smaller canner. Each jar of chicken was a net cost of $1. We had hoped to defrost the freezer but it rained that day and our method takes the freezer out onto the driveway to hose out the ice. Now it is too cold again so we wait.
Have a great week!
Now is the time to shop Goodwill and the other thrift stores. Everyone donated at the end of December for taxes. Now they are getting stuff out on the floor. Check out all the thrift stores now.
Vickie, I enjoy your posts so much. This week, CVS held savings for me again. I had earned $9.00 in reward bucks, from purchasing other items. I was able to purchase 4 bags of Valentine's candy(Dove) and some other things, too. With my coupons, I only owed $1.39. Also, All detergent was on sale again for $2.99 and I had a coupon for $1.00 off so my detergent was only $1.99. Have a great week!
Vickie well done on topping up the butter and sounds like you are on a good start with prepreparing all the breakfasts to save on doing additional grocery shopping.
We are continuing to be good on our low/spend February and have almost caught up with our arrears from buying needed new clothing and a new fan to replace the one that died. We have used mostly additional earned funds from both gardening work DH did and funds from money I earned from selling my homemade goods on the internet as well as allocated budgeted fortnightly funds. Any purchases also came out of money earned too instead of our budget :). We are super happy with our progress so far.
Our savings last week added up to $161.15 :).
- Our lovely neighbour gave us 350g of whiting fillets and around 500g of calamari as her family and boyfriend are avid fishermen.
- Made $44.39 from the sale of 2 5 layer luxury cotton eye masks in my eBay shop which I used to purchase a 30 m x 1 mt roll of flyscreen for the home and some fibre washers and o'rings for the inside house taps. We found we had run out of both tap washers and o'rings :o .
- DH earned $60 from a mowing job and he used his earnings to purchase another 20 mt grey water/sullage hose for the home and put the rest away for our fortnightly splurge budget so we didn't have to take that out of our normal pays.
- We used money we were in advance on in our splurge budget to top up our home emergency kitty and buy a tin of tyre leak repair foam for the ride on lawnmower tyre. More money that didn't come out of our usual pays that we can save.
- I listed 10 items on eBay using a free listing and final auction value fee promotion saving $16.50 on usual listing fees.
- Bought a 30 x 1 m roll of fibreglass flyscreen, 20 tap o'rings and 20 fibre tap washers on eBay saving $45.12 over buying these in the local hardware store. I paid for this out of money earned from sales in my eBay store.
- DH purchased another 20 m roll of sullage/grey water hose from the irrigation store saving $27 over buying it in the local hardware stores from money he earned from a gardening job.
- I made 3 x plain coloured and 3 x patterned bread bags and another 3 dark coloured 5 layer cotton eye masks for my eBay store as I had sold out of them.
In the kitchen -
- Made a 1.02 kg batch of chocolate brownies from our homemade premix saving $55.67 over purchasing them in the local cafe's.
- Made a single batch of coconut chocolate chip biscuits saving $7.01 over buying them in the local supermarket.
- Made a loaf of fruit bread in the bread making machine saving $2.87 over purchasing it in the shops. We had a few pieces and froze the rest in bags of 2 in the freezer for future meals.
- Made 2 loaves of bread in the breadmaker saving $6.98 over buying it in the local shops here.
Water preservation -
- Used grey water from our washing machine and grey water from our sullage tank to water ornamental potted plants, star jasmine, mulberry and our mandarin ? tree in the yard.
- Used saved shower warm up water and dish rinsing water to water potted fruit and herb plants with.
Hope everyone had a wonderful week :) .
You have had lots of grandkid time. I am envious.
Lana, I'm glad you both could see the houses problems! Sometimes the perfect houses are not so perfect. Good for you waiting till you got home to eat!
I needed to start canning meat. You got a great deal and I bet it tastes better than the canned meat at the store.
Those grand children are growing like weeds! Sometimes I worry that they will forget so much about their grandma and pop ..I guess they will when they reach teenagers. Which will be soon at the rate it's going. We love them a lot just wish the weather was good enough to go sledding or something. Maybe this week as we are expecting snow today and the temps are not as cold. That's always a lot of fun.
Melissa what great deals! You are all set for Valentine's day. I missed going to CVS last time we had an appointment that way. I'm going to make sure I go next time. You have a great week too!
aww it is so nice ...I didn't see them yesterday so today I made the trip to their house I'm addicted to them I think!
You are doing so well on your February spending. Good deal on earning the money you have to spend instead of using your money you have saved. All those things add up quick
Your neighbor sounds like a keeper. I bet that fish dinner was delicious! Have a great week too Lorna!
Thanks Peggy for the tip. We will try to go to a few more!
There have been articles of many people following the 'tidying up' shows and organizing their things and donating. They said Goodwills and other used stores are so thankful to be over flowing in many places with donations. :) That also means more for us to look at!!
I have been trying out many of your recipes and loving them! Thank you. Sarah
I had heard that too Sarah. I'll be looking more around this week! I'm so glad you finding and liking some of my recipes.
Post a Comment